You have no items in your shopping cart.
North 2022 Carve Wave / Strapless Freestyle KiteThe chase is on - Powerful, reactive and controllable, the Carve powers on and off instantly, so you can stay in the pocket for longer and out of the critical impact zone. Featuring a sensory pivot turn for control and huge depower range, the Carve gives you the confidence to focus on surfing - onshore, offshore and anything in between. Strong surf-freestyle characteristics help you perform strapless tricks and lofty jumps with ease, and enhanced down-the-line drift makes this versatile kite perfect for carving and tucking into a barrel. For 2022 we've further reduced the weight and improved the behavior of the kite. Our new Active Load Distribution Bridle system is fine-tuned for the most direct pivot steering possible, and delivers a faster livelier feel, greater stability and wind range. The lighter weight surf-tough construction delivers improved static balance and lightwind performance in surf and foil conditions. And we've introduced a new lighter weight bladder material in sizes 9m and above.
3m || 4m || 5m || 6m || 7m || 8m || 9m || 10m || 11m || 12m || 13m
- NEW finely-tuned Active Load Distribution Bridle System - Structurally designed so each tow point and cascade is individually controlled but interconnected as one unit, the new Carve bridling allows for loads to be more precisely distributed from the wing tip to the centre of the kite. This has enabled us to focus the loading on the leading edge for the most direct pivot steering possible - limiting the amount of power that is produced so you generate less speed in your bottom turns and can ride closer to the pocket of the wave. With the new bridle the Carve flies faster. It also FEELS faster and livelier in the air because the bar pressure, steering impulse and pull from the harness are in harmony. The Carve provides an extremely direct feel in both bar pressure and steering initiation, with more intuitive feedback from the bar in both directions, so you'll always know where your kite is.
- NEW lighter weight surf-tough construction - For 2022 we've further reduced the weight of the kite for improved static balance and lightwind performance, without affecting the strength and durability. This re-engineered lighter construction helps with the drift and behaviour of the kite and reduces any tendency to front stall in lightwind conditions. The surf-tough exo-skeletal reinforcement still completely surrounds the inner canopy, with extra wide reinforcements at strut ends. This adds strength and elongation control, protects the lighter inner main canopy body, and allows the kite to be more responsive in the steering and depower. The result is a durable kite that can hold its profile shape for increased performance and drift.
- Improved wind range - The new bridle load distribution combines with the Carve's larger leading-edge diameter and low aspect ratio design for improved stability, and improved wind range. We've maintained the linear power delivery, ensuring the kite is rock solid when it needs to be. Strapless freestyle riders can go higher with better hangtime, yet still have the control and manageability you need for jumps and tricks. Because the Carve has such impressive power and efficiency, we still recommend going a size smaller for wave riding. So, when everyone's on a 7m, you can pull out a 6m. A smaller kite means even less weight, faster steering and better drift.
- Evolved drift - The Carve is a statically balanced, stable kite that resists nose diving. Down the line drift is most important when the wind is onshore. The more offshore it gets, the more important it is for the kite to fly forward. The Carve's bridling ensures you're able to maintain the drift when you're sheeted in, the kite is responsive and goes down the line. But when it's offshore or you're riding overpowered, there's more reaction from the kite when you sheet out, and its ability to fly forward is greatly improved.
- Two-stage arc with direct pivot steering - The Carve's responsive two-stage arc design enables tighter turns without excessive amounts of power. The two-stage arc allows the smooth-curved efficient central region of the kite to produce power, while straighter wing tips provide a more dynamic steering response. As the arc shape becomes narrower the kite uses less of its projected area, giving it a smaller turning radius for tighter turns, and less pull or power in turns. The Carve, a narrower span kite, is fast in flight, with less power overall.
- Highest quality low-drag, no-pulley bridle lines - Highest quality spliced, pre-stretched bridle lines are pre-loaded and measured before cutting to improve accuracy and consistency. This results in reduced shrinkage, reduced elongation and improved longevity. Removing ALL pulleys from the bridle improves safety and gives the kite direct and precise handling. The result is lower drag, more accuracy and a more direct feeling.
- Refined aerodynamic profile transition panels - The profile transition panels ensure that as the leading edge expands, tension from the elongation doesn't migrate into the canopy and a precise lateral profile shape is maintained as close to the leading edge as possible. This creates a smooth transition from the segmented leading edge to the curved canopy, so the profiles are more uniform throughout the entire wing. The panels reduce inconsistencies in the profile, resulting in a smoother, more efficient kite, with more aerodynamic airflow, drive and stability.
- Fast-launching swept leading edge design - Allows more area in the centre of the kite for efficiency and makes the kite easy to roll off the water during critical relaunch in the surf. The Carve is not swept in the trailing edge like a bow kite, but it has a lot of curvature when viewed from the side, and the wingtips are not particularly wide. This puts a lot of the usable area in the center of the kite, rather than in the wing tip. So even though the Carve is lower aspect, it is still efficient for its size, and more importantly, the relaunch is super-quick. With less leading edge on the water it doesn't lay flat, so for fast relaunch in most cases you don't have to pull the rear line, simply rotate the bar. This really helps if you're riding waves and need to relaunch your kite quickly when a set's coming.
- High buoyancy leading edge diameter - For a rigid, stable kite frame which requires less inflation pressure. The high volume of air in the leading edge ensures the kite stays on top of the white water and is not easily crushed by the waves. The larger leading-edge diameter intentionally produces more drag and helps the kite sit deeper in the pocket. It also allows us to thin out the actual profile in the canopy itself. With less curve through the main body of the canopy and a larger leading-edge design, you end up with less canopy movement or deformation as you ride the kite at lower attack angles or sheeted out. The kite sits a little further back in the window, so that it will run with you as you steer towards it, rather than stop moving or flying forward and front stalling.
- DuraLite seam protection - Lightweight reinforcement to protect from chafing and abrasion along the struts to the leading edge. Thin foam padding is inserted underneath to form a lightweight durable buffer which lifts the kite slightly off rough surfaces and protects the stitching along the struts and leading-edge seams.
- Personalised performance tuning options - Bar pressure and steering impulse can be adjusted on the wing tip, allowing you to fine tune the kite's characteristics to your personal preference.
- Kevlar reinforced strut system with bridle deflectors - For the most accurate and durable connection between the strut and the leading edge. Bridle deflectors on the leading edge prevent the control lines catching on the struts.
- NEW HyperFlow rapid single-point inflation - New ergonomic high volume single point inflation system with large diameter hose for rapid inflation and deflation. The cap and valve base have been updated for more comfortable opening and closing in colder conditions (when your fingers are freezing). The bayonet style main inflation valve compatible with most pumps. No adapter needed.
- NEW recycled PET kite bag - Go Green. 33 recycled plastic bottles go into making every single North kite bag. Recycled PET Fabric meets Global Recycling Standard.
- High Performance high tenacity ripstop canopy - All our kites are manufactured using high tenacity polyester yarn canopy material for lightness, high tear strength, zero porosity and longevity.
- Kite Bag
- Repair Kit
Orders are usually processed and shipped the same day the order is placed. We do our best to get items out as quickly as possible, and are centrally located in Texas so most items will be 2-day shipping even with ground service. Domestic orders to the continental USA are shipped via UPS unless it is a small item. Small items are shipped via USPS. Most International orders are shipped via DHL express. Tracking numbers are available via this site in your account order page. if you want expedited shipping just choose it from the menu or call us at 281-508-6485 for any shipping problems or concerns.